August 04, 2013

Crafty Sunday! ☼ How to Take a BETTER Photograph - Part 1

For beginner.
Or, how to take a photo that doesn't look too rubbish. :D

So I have been spending my Sunday today trying to learn how to take a better picture. Not only of myself, ... but generally.
Why?
I think photography is a practical skill.

Ever have that awkward family picture... *dramatic sappy music*
*okay, stop*
well, I mean, generally just a picture of yourself, taken by another family member, holding nonsensical things (like a twig), grimacing instead of grinning, in a girl scout uniform (well, probably this one is just me), leaning on the bark of an unseen tree like your life depends on it (master of awkward poses)?
I'll show you this awesome picture if I find it, ... it's awesome because it's too weird, that I remember I took it ... and my mum who took the picture was saying things like "yes! good pose!".

Anyway, orrr ... a picture that shows your mum has wore too much makeup on under the harsh unforgiving flash light that your dad thinks should be on ALL the time?

Story of my life.

So, to save graces of future weird pictures, gods allow, I thought I would learn a little more about photography.

Obviously by no means, I am no expert. Leave alone qualified, and far far FARRR away from being a good photographer :).

But, let's share what I've learned.

So, Em (talking to self), should you forget what to do when taking a photograph, here's a recap, and (not talking to self) here's how my nails are particularly looking today!

I needed a subject for the pictures :D.

Enjoy!


1. Avoid Backlight
So after you find the source of light (said to be preferably easier to use 1 main source of light to handle the shadows), ...
Don't take the picture with the back to it. What's the point of a light when you're blocking it. Unless the shadows are what you're looking for ... :)
p.s.: I kind of like the picture though.


2. Avoid Direct Light
So take the picture facing the light source.
But, apparently, not directly facing it. Since it might be too harsh and wash out the colour out of the picture.


3. Remove Clutters from Background
So the best is apparently diffused light, such as in front of the window but when the sun is not directly opposing it or not too bright. Definitely not around midday. Said the best hours would be soft lights in between 1 hour before and after sunset and sunrise.
Now the harsh washout colours are gone, but this picture might be missing focus. I mean ... I'm not that much of an OCD, and I do like the colours in the background! :D But, yes ... they are distracting. Even if there is only one other object in the background, I think it would distract me perfectly (I tend to wander off).
So, for a starting option, remove clutters from background, unless they are an intended part of the complete picture.


4. Go Hide!
Spot the photographer in the picture!
Apparently it is normal to bend and twist to hide yourself when taking a picture. Playing hide and seek with the source of light. Or .. should there be any reflective objects ...


5. Now Better Adjusted!
Now those are done, I think the picture looks slightly better. These are the best possible pictures that I got given the instances.
This...
and... there's another one!
Even though a good camera might help, but what are fancy tools when I don't know the basics of framing a picture.
So these are taken with my Blackberry camera phone! :) Mind you, it doesn't even have a macro option.
So there you go! Next up I think would be day time vs. night time pictures, how to fill the frame, learning to pose (as my nails started to look like a newborn puppy's paws after a while), and ... what else I shall come up with ...  Mmm ...


Lots of love,
Em.

No comments :

Post a Comment